The deconstruction of race, gender and whatnot rolls on:
- Not surprisingly, a conference on race agrees it’s a social construct, and also not surprisingly the conclusion is that everybody—especially Americans, who are apparently more racist than other people—has to be re-educated. The scholars are meeting to figure out how to spend $4 million from the National Science Foundation and the Ford Foundation to create a traveling museum exhibit presenting correct views on race.
- Oprah Winfrey, sob sister supreme, gets in over her head with a show featuring children who say they were born with bodies of the wrong sex. The show featured an 11-year-old girl who wants to be a boy and whose parents let her live that way, and an expert who called such children “archetypal warriors on the cutting edge of that space between the two polarities that we hold onto so tightly” and suggested “[p]erhaps it would serve us all to go to that place … ”
- If you do go to that place in California, the state requires school boards to have programs in place to make sure everyone treats it as A-OK and the same as normality, even though on one school board three trustees are resisting
Gleichschaltung. The reporter points out that “the trustees’ stance has infuriated parents, teachers and other trustees who have accused the three of imposing their religious beliefs on the district” by failing to adopt a regulation the district had never felt moved to adopt on its own. (Also see my previous entry on the situation.)
- Going to that place you may even qualify you for financial benefits, especially if you can claim victimization by all the unreconstructed bigots out there: Homosexual students offered special college scholarships.
- The movement to deconstruct the relationships traditionally fundamental to human life has even spread to Muslim countries, at least to resolutely laicist Muslim countries that want to become members of the EU: Turkey drops proposal to criminalize adultery. It’s routine in overregulated societies like the EU to criminalize violations of important obligations relating to social institutions that matter. If you think marriage qualifies by that standard it seems you’re not just unwise or wrong, you’re a human rights violator.
- Which brings us to the function of all these measures in the current regime: the abolition of every social institution and relationship that could support some measure of stability, self-organization or self-government apart from the public, formal, and therefore controllable market and bureaucratic institutions that are the only institutions liberalism accepts as legitimate.